One of the most important things your child can do to achieve success is going to school every day. The benefits of social exposure and being taught different subjects in school will help them develop skills that benefit them for the rest of their lives. As a parent, it is crucial to convey the importance of regular attendance to your child and how missing out can damage their future.
Schedule a tour to learn how Calvary Lutheran School emphasizes the importance of regular school attendance.
We have compiled a list of the most common benefits your child may experience and how you can get involved in your child’s academics to promote success.
The benefits of regular school attendance
A consistent school attendance schedule will provide many unique benefits for your child’s life, including:
- Structure. When your child regularly engages in the same activities, they will be more likely to develop structure. This structure instills a better sense of time management into your child that will be useful in many avenues of their life.
- Achievement. Students who regularly attend class are more likely to pass reading and math assessments than students who don’t. Children are more likely to keep up with daily assignments and homework, and be better prepared for tests and quizzes.
- Language skills. Younger students are exposed to classes and activities that are crucial for developing language. The window of opportunity for optimal language learning is small, so it is important to teach them consistently while they’re young to decrease development issues.
- Social skills. Children will participate in many social situations that are vital for understanding the world around them. Socializing with peers helps them understand social cues, social etiquette, and how to express their thoughts.
How you can help your child understand the importance of regular attendance
Some children may show signs of independence early on while others may need an extra push from their parents to complete their tasks. Don’t hesitate to involve yourself in your child’s academic life to understand how their performing in school and social situations. The easiest way to take part in your child’s academic success is to:
- Ensure your child is on time every day. Showing up late to school every day can put a strain on your child’s ability to keep up academically. Teaching your child how to go to sleep on time and properly set their alarm clock will help them become more accountable.
- Check their homework. Make sure your child has completed their homework on time and tried their best. Some children may try to blow through homework to begin play time, it is important to stay firm and prevent access to their leisurely activities until everything is complete.
- Stay involved with their academics. Take an active role in your child’s academic success. Ask your child how their school day was and actively listen to their complaints or praises. Meet your child’s teacher and develop a rapport that allows you to bounce off ideas that could benefit your child in their home and school life. Allow the child to host play dates to see who their friends are and how well they get along with others.
Calvary Lutheran School understands the extreme importance of regular school attendance. We focus on nurturing children academically, spiritually, physically, emotionally, and socially. Contact us at 816-595-4020 to schedule a tour and learn more about our academic program.